Sunday, July 15, 2012

My Eulogy

I would like to begin by thanking everyone for being here today, my husband and I are touched that you care enough to show your support for our family. We are also grateful that you are here to pay your respects to our Nathan.

There is nothing more heartbreaking than the death of a child. It is unfair that our son was taken away from us after only eight short years. But, here we are today with great sadness, but also joy that we say goodbye and celebrate our beautiful child.

At first I wasnt sure how to even begin this as i could go on forever of the kind of child Nathan was. I am glad that I can be here today and share some memories with you and pay tribute to my son.

Nathan brought a smile and joy to everyone that met him. After 6 months of colic which caused me to almost by stock in enigizer batteries cause he slept in a swing the first 6 months of his life . He was always my gentle shy giant...he towered over most kids his age even from when he was a baby.

Even though he was only 8 years old, he was wise beyond his years. He was the shy, quiet type who didnt care to much for the spotlight. He loved to play with his brother and sister, loved being outdoors and go on our summer camping trips to Garner we did with kristi and Kevin. Lasr summer he finally braved and jumped off the HUGE rock at the swim hole...he was so proud of himself, riding his bike, playing wii, reading...which diary of a wimpy kid was his fav series, and shooting his little 22 rifle his grampa George passed down to him..he was so proud of that gun and had been trying to work on his aiming eye as he couldnt quiet close his left eye and keep his right eye open and was learning to shoot left handed. He loved Whaterburger hamburgers ..while Geoff was deployed in '08 his grampa George introduced him to BURGERS course it could only have ketcup on it but he loved them.... He loved my dads harley motorcycle...so much so he fell asleep and would scare us half to death..the lull of the engine while riding calmed him. He loved my triplet nieces and babies in general....his calming spirit was such that babies felt that and went to him with no hesitation. He was a protecter of his siblinglings and hated when they were bullied...he loved cub scouts...soon as school was over on Wed he rushed home and got changed in his uniform ready to go 3hrs before we had to be there. The week before his death he had the chance to attend scout day camp...how thrilled and tired he was to have that opportunity.

There is no easy way for me to say goodbye. We can’t dwell on the sadness or keeping asking the question “why?” We will never find a reason why such a smart, cheerful and beautiful child was taken from our lives at the age of 8. Instead, we should focus on how happy he made us when he was in our lives. We will miss Our Nathan forever and will always remember his smiles and laughter. He was one of my greatest joys of my life. He was a spirit chosen for me to raise on loan from our Heavenly Father....how honored i am to have been his mother and will spend the rest of my life celebrating his life...

A Child Loaned

"I'll lend you for a little time
A child of Mine." He said.
"For you to love the while he lives
And mourn for when he's dead.
It may be six or seven year
Or twenty-two or three
But will you, till I call him back
Take care of him for Me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you
And should his stay be brief,
You'll have his lovely memories
As solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay
Since all from Earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there
I want the child to learn.
I've looked this wide world over
In my search for teacher's true,
And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes,
I have selected you;
Now will you give him all your love,
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate Me when I come to call
And take him back again?
I fancied that I heard them say,
"Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
For all the joy Thy child shall bring,
For the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known,
Forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for him
Much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment