Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ronald McDonald House

Since we were invited to help with the boy scouts service project a week or so ago...I've been looking forward to this evening. Many of you know that while we were in Dallas this past June with Nathan those few days we were hosted by the Ronald McDonald house close to the hospital. I'd always heard about this special house, but never been to one much less stayed at one. So, I was humbled when we could actually stay there. For those who don't know what this house is its really an amazing place. Its a house close to most children's hospitals where families can stay while there sick child is in the hospital. Its an incredible place and is really a home away from home for these families. I looked at this as a chance to give back in a way to the organization that was so kind to us in our time of need. The scouts prepared a Taco Bar and fruit for the families that stayed there. I wasn't sure how id feel by going back to the Ronald McDonald house...I realize the one we stayed at is in Dallas, but the feeling I got was so similar to how I felt when staying there. I had flash backs of staying there. A moment of anxiousness of not knowing if your child was gonna be okay. I had the opportunity of helping the wolves rip the lettuce, while doing this I had a feeling that Nathan was there..what a great time of doing service he would've had. That boy loved helping those in need the smile he wore while in service was just a breath of fresh air. I felt him by me then sweet tears fell. I just took a deep breath and kept going. I know he was smiling as I was indeed in his place doing something he luved. I plan on doing something similar to this again on the anniversary of his passing every yr. That's just something else I can do to celebrate my son. I'm telling you i'm seriously gonna do him proud doing everything I can think of to keep him alive. He won't be forgotten. That's a mother's worst fear when one of there children has passed..that they will be forgotten. MINE will not..I don't have it all mapped out but I promise when he entered this world he was meant for greatness. I'll make sure he has his earthly greatness even if that means a lifetime of dedication to different causes. I'm doing it..he's assured his own spiritual rewards. I have met with the boy scout committee yesterday and got the ball rolling on the Nathan Dennis scholarship that will send a boy to day camp that wouldn't otherwise get to go. I've talked before how he loved day camp...so I'll make sure someone else gets that experience...oh Nathan's smiling on that one I'm just sure of it. After the top 5 are narrowed down I'll visit with each applicant and see how they are with the other scouts praying for a lil Nathan inspiration on who's the choice he'd make. As there going in his name. I'll then volenteer one day at camp every summer seeing the fun they'll have that day. I know I am as well as Geoff and the kids are so excited about this coming to pass this next summer. Something to look forward to every June instead of dreading the worst day in June. As I left the Ronald McDonald House I did indeed feel the way I felt as I left it that long hard day in June. In a complete haze that I was leaving my son behind. That feeling that day we left to head back home toward Austin was the WORST!!! We had to drive by the hospital that we just said our goodbye's knowing we were leaving our son. Never to see him in this earthly life again. I remember clear as day touching the glass of my window as tears flowed fighting back sobs trying to understand how I could be leaving a child in a lonely cold place without me to protect and guide him to his next resting place. Praying hard that I'd just have the strength to make it to the next day. Well I did muster the strength and here I sit writing what will one day be my book to show that this path can be walked. The road is long, hard and lonely at times, but it can be done one day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment